Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

Just A Rant

                I would like to take this time to quickly rant about the inefficiencies of the school system. As you can probably tell from my blog, I am a nerdy Asian kid, who obviously is very athletic. Well, actually my school is making me take a physical education class, which is a problem described later, but luckily they are letting me take a sport so not to harm my grade point average which is already fairly difficult to keep up. Next year though, they are thinking about not letting a student take a sport to waive the physical education requirement, which I find not one of the better things they could have done.
                My first problem with the inefficiencies at school is that every student is required to take a physical education class. At my school, the grade point average is supposed to be on a 4.0 scale, but many times a student’s grade will exceed the 4, which does not make sense though beside the point. Advanced Placement courses can add 5.0 to the overall grade point average, and guess which class does not have any sort of weighted grade? That is right, all physical education courses. I also find it stupid that gym teachers will actually grade a person on how “healthy” or “fit” they are. The few courses that I took before realizing I was killing my grade point average was where the more a person runs, the higher the grade, and although many people think students do not run the entire time because the students are being lazy. Many times it is not the person running’s fault, but instead the fault of the parents or a mesh of different factors. As described in Food Inc., families with a lower income usually resort to the more unhealthy foods because the food is cheaper than organic foods. Gym just is not a fair way to base a student’s future academic studies on.

                A couple weeks ago when I was actually practicing for tennis, well “practicing”, I forgot to turn in a signed physical to the school. I know this was extremely irresponsible of me because I had a couple weeks to turn it in, but what the teacher made me do was a complete waste of time. Instead of actually doing something productive, like playing tennis by myself on the courts, or studying, I stood there for the entire practice. Two whole hours of my life that I will never get back. Just standing. That is it. I know how much the administrators have to do, but at least they could make some of the gears run more efficiently, I mean, that is what they are paid to do, administer children and teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment