Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Not Child Alzheimer's...

                This post made by Popular Science is extremely relevant in my life, because I always have wondered about the earlier parts of my life. Like the one Calvin and Hobbes comic, shown here, I do not think it is a giant government conspiracy, but what I do think it is, is weird. This article says that we have altered these memories, that we even change how we felt about them. If it is within a couple years, the feeling should still be there, but just kind of muted. I think everyone feels this way, or at least recalls the best and the worst parts of their childhood, but since then, it might be differently thought of.
                I can honestly testify to this fact, because in sixth grade, I know I was really a bundle of hate, still kind of am, but that is beside the point, and I guarantee that I hated everything about middle school, but right now, I look back and think about how it was not that bad. I know that this kind of contradicts what the study says, but I think it is because it has not been long enough for me to forget about it yet. Other times, it will be good books that I have forgotten. One such example of this is when I read The Phantom Tollbooth for the first time when I was in first grade. During that time, I thought it was the greatest book ever in the history of mankind. Later, remembering how great this book was, in seventh grade, I chose to reread it, and I was honestly bored by the first quarter of the book, and halfway through I quit because I hated it that much. This shows that new memories that you make actually can overlap some of your older ones. The study first made it sound like these memories were permanent to me.

                There is also the fact that as a child, sometimes we do not know exactly what we are saying, and often make different sexual innuendoes where we do not currently understand at the time, but when we “mature” into teenagers, we start to grasp these different references. I know this happens, because I volunteer at places that requires me to take care of children. Often times, these kids will talk and have something extremely immature in them, which us volunteers then look at each other and laugh while the kids are confused. Once a kid hits a certain age, he might remember the memory, and then realize why and feel bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment