Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Welcome to Bronze V!

                Most people enjoy video games, but I do not think many of them have ever thought about what makes these games fun. One psychologist believes it is primarily because people enjoy completing ideals of them of what they think their model self would be, her reasoning stated here. I think it applies to some games, but it makes no sense in other games. In fact, as a “gamer” myself, I can say that from personal experience that it comes from a lot of different sources, and anything small about the game could turn a person off from them.

                With the psychologist, although it makes sense for an RPG, role playing game, because you can design your character and upgrade its statistics, it makes no sense for games like Call of Duty, and why so many people play that game. I personally have never been to war, but if people wanted to pretend to be the character that they control, I do not think I would be extremely risky and just hope I spawn somewhere nearby sometime soon.  I personally do not think it is a great game, but when playing with friends I have a lot of fun, and I can tell everyone at the Fox News station that I have never thought about killing anyone.


                Most of the games I play are multiplayer and go head to head against other players. One of the reasons I enjoy playing my games, no matter whether it is a board game or an online PC games, is because I can assert my dominance over someone else, and it gives me a type of false confidence that makes me feel better about myself. For example, I enjoy playing chess as a type of board game, because it does not take any luck and also since it is a player vs player game, unless you play against a computer, it directly shows that you are better than the other. Then there are always those people that are sore losers who talk about how they, “were not even trying” or “let you win” even though you consistently beat them. Another game that I enjoy playing is League of Legends which is an online game, where you can form teams and fight other teams. I enjoy playing with friends because I know them, and we can go play games together. This is one reason on how games can become better for a person, which is to play with a group of friends. I always have much more fun playing games with friends, rather than by myself.

1 comment:

  1. I also am a League player, and a fairly well known one at that. I'm Challenger 9 and I'll tell you exactly why I play. As you know, challenger 9 is a rank that is near impossible to achieve, and I am one of three to have this rank. When people see my rank they treat me like a god. The same for the others in challenger 9. At this point, I play the game purely for the god complex boost. Not to mention I win easily 200k a year in professional tournaments.

    ReplyDelete