Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Putting Water in Batteries? What Could Go Wrong?


            A couple of scientists have spent a while laboring over this new type of battery that instead of lithium, can use water instead. This new method is much cheaper than the old way, but still, I do not think this way is amazing like it states in the article.

            The first problem I find with it is that it takes one of Earth’s most precious resources, in fact the resource that is one of the reasons that Earth can sustain life. Once this happens, a precious resource will once again end up in short supply, because even still, many people do not have access to clean water. This then also brings me to the affluence of many first world countries. Compared to third world countries, first worlds have it easy, but even still, many people fall victim to FWP. First World Problems. Next time a friend starts complaining about how his or her water is not cold enough. Hand them a straw, and tell them to suck it up, because there are much more disastrous situations than those.

            This innovation also troubles me, because if people could discover this, why could they have not found a perpetual resource to use, such as the sun, instead of water, which is already in high demand. Of course, if it were to use salt water or polluted water, and purify it in the process, it would be a completely different story and I would be extremely impressed. In the meantime, the details are closed off from the public, so when it comes out, I will make sure to have a follow up review on it.

            Now, the most obvious problem there is with this innovation. I mean, come on, it is an electronic device, and there is water inside of it. Ever since pre-k it seems that every human being has been taught that electricity and water do not go together. Exhibit A is pokemon. Everybody knows that electricity destroys water. My parents always told me never to put a hair dryer under water…again, hey, I liked bubbles back then, do not judge me. What if the water leaks out, and an innocent child is electrocuted, I do not need a psychic to tell me what happens next, I see a lawsuit in the future.

            All in all though, it is a great innovation, I am just what many people call “nit-picking” because out of all its negative parts, its benefits still outweigh possible risks and its negatives. These benefits can be read about in the article.


4 comments:

  1. Dr. Qi, when will you learn? The earth isn't our only source of water. In fact, over 100,000 gallons of water a year are imported from ice mining operations on Mars. Aquafina has been doing this for the past 5 years, ever since their launch of the "Mars2O Initiative". There is so much more water available on Mars for us to take, that really these water batteries shouldn't be a problem. Also, pokemon don't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Mr. "Critic" Abramson, the Mars2O Initiative was cancelled recently, due to the fact that water has not been found there yet. Once again, your lack of knowledge has proven you wrong again. Not only is there not water on mars, but pokemon do exist, but are hidden by PETA's secret initiative, "Pokémon Assemble!"

      Delete
    2. You must have misread Mr. Qi. I am the head of Aquafina's Mars2O™ initiative and I'm on Mars right now enjoying a delicious bottle of strawberry flavored Mars Water™. As for your claim about Pokemon™, link me to what evidence you have of this.

      Delete
    3. Pics or it didn't happen. I'm sorry Mr. Abramson, but you must not have a very extensive vocabulary. It is in fact a secret initiative, and will not be released officially to the public.

      Delete