Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

What's In the Middle?

                Apparently when you add in a middle initial to an application or just to something that you sign your name, the middle initial makes you sound a lot more intelligent compared to just omitting the middle initial, proven by a couple tests, linked here. I think that this is fairly accurate, because I always have a tendency to believe people if they sound a lot more fancy, such as Dr. Jacques P. Farquhar. Compared to just John Doe or something like that, the fancier names would make me think higher of their intelligence, but this is not to say that I discriminate against people who do not have fancy middle initials.
                Unfortunately for me, I actually did not include my middle initial on my AP exams that I registered for a while ago, and so hopefully it does not impact my college entrance. (Complete Sarcasm) Although first impressions are an important factor into what you originally think about a person, it should not be the only reason that you either hate a person, unless you hear them cuss with every other word or about how many relationships that they have cheated on or done drugs. Then, you have my full permission to hate them, and please do not start with the stupid, “You don’t know me, you don’t my story, you don’t know what I’ve been through,” It would have to be extremely high brain damage for you to do any of it.

                In case you guys do not know this, but I am indeed Asian and often stereotyped, especially when I wear my glasses, and am thought to be extremely smart, especially in Math. I won a couple awards in a math competition and yet not many people were that surprised by it, nor are they surprised to find that I also attended science bowl, which is obviously a science competition. Then again, now that I think about it, it has not been like I was trying not to give this stereotype, because I have been going to these competitions, and well, in all of them, about 99% of each team in the math competitions have been Asian or Indian, as in the sub-continent of Asia, not the Christopher Columbus Indians. This has gotten slightly off topic, but the middle initial was apparently started by the aristocrats of the era, and so when peasants saw aristocrats with their fancy middle names, this may be a reason why we immediately associate intelligence with a middle name.

No comments:

Post a Comment