Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Hashtag Yolo Right? Shoot Me for Saying It, but Read the Blog First


               This post is something off the normal basis, but still stays within the loosely termed realms, is all about video games. Specifically, with the release of Grand Theft Auto 5, the ones that give you free reign over the video game area. Although, it is usually these kinds of games that adults complain about that give kids ideas about killing and how it has no consequences in games. Not for so much longer, this person invented a new type of game that actually has consequences, called DayZ.

                The idea behind it is simple, and yet I find it ingenious, though also very annoying at points. This would be an online game, where people have to survive with other people, but once a person dies, he or she must completely restart the game, so if one person kills someone else, then that one person will just have the knowledge that he or she just ended someone’s life and that one person has to now completely start over from the beginning. It may not seem like much at first, but if the person has any morals left, I am sure it will kind of haunt them for a bit. This game does probably seem tedious to start a new game at first, but the purpose is so the person knows what it feels like starting all over and will probably think before killing next time. It is these games that are not exactly educational, but teach life lessons about the value of life, unlike many other games these days.

                I know what some of you are probably thinking, but if you are not, well you will be, “What about the people who go on killing sprees because they feel like it?” Well, if that happens, I am most certain that many of the players in the community will develop a hatred for him or her and eventually will take them down. The other option is, if the community does not start a hate chain against it first, the game creators will then take a copy of the avatar being played and return fire on them. This, I believe, would be traumatizing due to the fact that it would be oneself causing one’s demise. I can somewhat relate to the feeling of it. I believe it would be tantamount to break an arm or leg because of my own stupidity. An example from my life, though not as traumatic as it may seem but trust me that it was, is when I “forget” to study, okay more like didn’t want to, then knowing nothing on the test, and afterwards realizing it was I, not anyone else, that caused my own demise.

                This is a great video game idea, and I can only hope the players do not have a toxic personality towards each other, otherwise it may defeat the overall purpose of the game. It gives the meaning of life back to video games and is a refreshing twist on video game play styles in general.

3 comments:

  1. This interests me. Where could I find more information?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are, this is their official website http://dayzgame.com/ which has a link to one of their blogs, i guess, but yeah, since they made the game, I'm kinda guessing they have some information about it.

      Delete
  2. There's two games of Day Z. The Gmod one, and the stand alone. The stand alone was based on the Gmod version, but was a huge let down to all of the people who played the original. In the stand alone, I heard you start out with weapons, unlike the original where you start out with barely anything, like you said. This post is also similar to Minecraft multiplayer servers, think about it.

    ReplyDelete