Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Space: How would you like to die?


                I decided to major in something relating to Science in college, of course after I graduate high school. The problem with this, though, is that I have always worried about what if things might go wrong. I then stumbled upon this article, and although it is not exactly a conventional safety thing, due to the fact that it is in space and not Earth, but it still makes one wonder about the risks of going into science industry. Astronauts are actually the physical part of the trade, but then it makes me worried, even though they say they have not yet lost anyone due to randomly floating off, because the scientists do not seem to care too much that they do not have that many recovery procedures.

                It was always one of my childhood fears to randomly float away, like gravity disappears and then I randomly float off into the atmosphere where I would just slowly suffocate and die. I know, it is pretty irrational, but as everyone knows, children have no sense of logic, and are really not that smart, since their prefrontal cortex is still not fully developed. Well, back to safety concerns, this article makes a mistake seem so horrible and dramatic. The last line just completely throws me off and feels depressed for the rest of the day. It cannot be that hard to create some sort of recovery procedure, I mean it is possible to lose two astronauts this way, but it really should be worth it to try.

                Whatever happened to, “Your safety is our biggest concern!” they say all the time in elementary, middle, and high school. Yeah, maybe if the government would put a little more funding into protect the people who might die. Well, it sounds really easy I guess, but it should be pretty impossible considering the government is not doing much right now, I wonder why? Oh yeah, it got shut down. There used to be a space shuttle that could actually save the astronauts too, but it was retired. I just do not understand the goal behind it, sure they could save some money, or they could save some people. I also just find space an extremely dangerous place, and why we want explore it with actual people is far beyond me. All in all, I really do not think we should be out in space with humans, or any living being for that matter, until we have a safe and guaranteed method of retrieval for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment