Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

If it ain't broke, Don't fix it

            It may not seem important now, but this is the future happening right here. Scientists can now determine a person’s ethnicity just from the bacteria inside their mouth, or, you know, they could look at the skin color, but that would just be too easy. Congratulations America, this is what your tax money is being spent on. With this new discovery, people who like white but really are not, can be even more racially profiled than they ever were before. Of course this is not all that bad, because now, scientists know that there are different types of bacteria in a person’s mouth and so are able to use different medicines to address different issues.

            I really do have to admit that I was being kind of unfair in my first assertion in the previous paragraph. I really do not know what I was thinking. A leopard cannot and most likely will not be able to change its spots, unless it goes through some deeply intensive therapy. Like I said, or meant in the badly created metaphor, just because there is a new way to identify different ethnicities, it should not matter too much, because the people who were going to judge people based on their ethnicity before, probably will not change their opinion on them even if new evidence comes out or laws declaring against it. I do appreciate the fact that instead of using race, this article does use ethnicity, because as one of my teachers said, “Race is not a real thing, only ethnicity, so you can’t be racist, only ethnicist,” Yeah, as you can see, I had wonderful teachers throughout my academic career. Although, even though I said it was another way to profile a person from above, this really is not all that accurate, a whopping 62% which, if I got that on a test, I would be disappointing my family. It also does not give specific ethnicities, only the general area, like not Ethiopian, but African, not Japanese, but Asian.

            At first glance to me, it seems like experimenting even further in depth with some of the bacteria found in different people’s teeth, seems helpful since it is a new scientific breakthrough, and would help scientists a lot in their beneficiary practices. Then, I started to wonder, if we have already come this far with little to no trouble, why we should then try to change it. Like many a people have said, “If it isn’t broke, then don’t fix it,” This has not been all over the news, about how bacteria is killing people, and if it has not reached that level of importance, then I guess it should not be important enough to acknowledge, according to a majority of people I talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment