Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Living on Cloud 9

          Technology is becoming more and more important in modern times, and soon humans probably will not even be able to function without it. Of course, it is not like this innovation makes it seem any better, but it is a pretty cool idea. Have you ever looked at a piece of technology and just thought, “I know there is going to be a better version of this, but I need it now!” Yeah, instant gratification, a very large part of human nature. Well, this new idea makes it so that everyone can save thousands of dollars, not even exaggerating right now, on new pieces of technology, but as happy as it makes us consumers, the business owners would have to be at least slightly miffed by this.

            With this, nobody has to ever worry about not saving anything or not having a file saved. Well, now it is completely based around the cloud system, and so updates are sent wirelessly. This means that everything now can become a computer, like a television, everything would be connected. Of course, I really do not like this too much. For instance, my school has apparently given us this cloud program so people are able to leave flash drives at home, but they work about as much as I do. I am currently unemployed, which means I do not have a job, and so do not do anything. AP Chemistry is a fairly difficult class, and we have to write a lab report that is a couple of pages long. One time, I had a lab report almost completed, but was saved on a couple of tablets, so we had to either save it to our student, flash, or cloud drive. To say the least, I forgot my flash drive, and my student drive is not that useful at home, so I decided to give this cloud drive a chance and let it work its magic. It just did not. I got the first page, but the others were lost in cyberspace.

            The other reason I find this idea a particularly bad idea is that an EMP, electro-magnetic pulse, which knocks out every electrical functioning thing in a certain radius. These would end up being the bane of our country. The government could easily use it to subdue people, and people would have no way of communicating. I am sure most of you think this is stupid, but if you heard your loved one got shot and wanted to know if he or she was okay, and the government would not let you call them, because you were an anarchist, it would make many people angry. I mean, having every single thing someone owns online and no tangible proof that it exists? Thinking that will be sufficient proof is almost like a mental disease and tosses common sense out the window.

4 comments:

  1. Although I agree with you about the great chaos that an EMP attack could create in our country, I think our government is unlikely to use it against us. However, with the evolving times, citizens of less stable countries that are becoming more connected to the internet, such as Syria, could find in the near future that EMP's are a more powerful weapon for their government than chemical weapons or other types of physical attacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think the government would create a large scale attack, but I do have enough faith that they might use it in small scale areas to put down riots and other forms of protest.

      Delete
    2. Tell me that when a government soldier is holding you at baton point while the rest of his squad is smashing your router and modem!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! I think the part about having everything connected WOULD be nice but the part about EMP is also true.

    ReplyDelete