Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Some People Just Know How To Celebrate Christmas

            Has anyone had one of those teachers where they divide the class up into separate groups depending on when their birthday was? No? Just me? Okay. Anyway, in one of my classes, we would, for some reason, have a large abundance of people born in September in the class, and so my teacher made a comment, "Wow, some of your parents really knew how to celebrate Christmas," which caused the class to burst into hysterics obviously. See, if hamsters had the same gestation period as humans, there would be no hamsters born in the fall months, because hamsters apparently have this gene in them which controls their reproductive capabilities, and so it shuts them off during the winter months. If you are into this kinda stuff, I know I am, it gives a more detailed explanation in this article.

            Think of how much the world population would go down if people were limited with this gene. That would be three or more months, all depending on the groundhogs, of not reproducing and conservation of energy and thus, money. Do not get me wrong on this, I really do not think that people are a waste of time and a severe drain on resources, well most of them anyway, and it is worth it to raise them, but I would not like to see the human race self destruct all because some people just get a little more "festive" during holiday seasons. Unfortunately, we do not have this gene, and unless some people want to injected with hamster DNA or have everyone reproduce with a hamster until we successfully insert this gene into every human, it probably will not be that possible. Another choice is to dip a hamster in radioactive material then have it bite a person which they can obtain most of the hamster's DNA and mix it with theirs. Afterwards he or she can proceed to save the world with its other useless compatriots, Aquaman and Squirrel Girl.

            Actually, I really wrote this because I find the abilities kind of impressive, I mean, us humans cannot really tell the season if we stand outside with our eyes closed, but these hamsters can internally distinguish between seasons. Although, a reason that we do not have this is we really do not need it, but it still would be kind of nice to have more energy to do stuff during the holidays instead of "celebrating" but other than that, I do not really have a clue about its significance. It did clear up something that was unknown before, but nothing really important that everyone wants to know, such as "Do aliens exist?" or "What does the fox say?"
            

4 comments:

  1. I would argue that what humans lack in instinct we make up for in our reasoning abilities and our abilities to interpret our senses. If you were to blindfold me, put me outside, and ask me what season it was. I would first pay attention to the temperature. I know that summer is hot, winter is cold, fall can be moderately cold, and spring moderately warm. I would then listen. What birds do I hear? Birds are most active in the warmer months. Do I hear leaves blowing around? Do I hear bunches of leaves rumbling together in the trees? Or dried leaves scraping against the sidewalk? Do I hear people working outside? People don't like to work outside during the winter. Although we cannot instinctually tell what season it is, we have the tools to determine this, even without modern technology. All we need is our brain and our senses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, the difference is that we are able to predict the season through temperatures outside relatively well, but there are often freak days where the temperature and other indicators indicating a specific season may be completely off. Hypothetically if you were trapped in a jail cell for an unknown period of time, with no knowledge of the outside weather, and one day you made a daring escape, and you are dressed in little clothing, a human could not possibly escape an island prison in the winter with little clothing, but in the summer, a human would stand a better chance. Thus, through all the logic skills we have, it still does not add up to an instinctual knowledge.

      Delete
    2. I disagree. If I were trapped in a jail cell and I escaped it wouldn't matter what season it is. I would weigh the circumstances. Chances are I'm being hunted, and, as you said, it's winter. My first actions would be to find one of the people looking for me. I would sneak attack him and take his winter clothing. I would then hide out on the island until warmer weather comes. I would make my escape on a large raft that I had been working on.

      Delete
    3. You would be clearly outmatched, because these guards have been through training, and are not at all like the administrators you faced in high school. I suggest you calm down before this gets out of hand, because it would be difficult or nearly impossible to accomplish any of the tasks.

      Delete